1 cup radicchio, shredded
3 cups tuscan/lacinato/dinosaur kale, stemmed & chiffonaded
1 granny smith apple, julienned (skin on)
1 T chives, snipped
1/4 cup pecorino romano cheese, shaved
2 Tbsp shallots, minced
1/4 cup pancetta finely diced, rendered & lightly browned
1/2 cup maple-white balsamic vinaigrette
salt & pepper
1/2 cup candied pecans (recipe follows)
1. Combine kale, radicchio, apple, herbs, cheese, shallots & pancetta in salad mixing bowl
2. Add dressing & toss well; add more dressing as needed – don’t skimp!
3. Season to taste with salt & pepper.
4. Mound salad on serving plate & garnish with pecans.
5. Enjoy immediately.
2 C pecans
1/2 C powdered sugar
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1. Preheat oven to 325F.
2. Cover pecans with water in a bowl; transfer to strainer & shake off water.
3. In another bowl, whisk together sugar, cayenne & salt; add pecans & toss.
4. Transfer nuts to a strainer & shake off excess coating.
5. Arrange on paper- or silicone-lined baking pan & bake 10-12 mins until sugar is lightly caramelized and the pecans are golden.
yield: approximately 1 cup
2 Tbsp minced shallot
1 T stone ground mustard
1 Tbsp champagne vinegar
2 Tbsp white balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp dry thyme
1/4 tsp fresh rosemary, minced
1 egg yolk
2 Tbsp maple syrup
3/4 cup canola oil
salt & pepper
1. combine all ingredients except oil, salt & pepper in bowl of food processor
2. turn on food processor and slowly drizzle in oil
3. season with salt & pepper
4. adjust acid with more vinegar or sweetness with a bit of honey as needed
5. should be yummy